These are a wonderful breakfast treat, and easy. At Couleur they are served with toast strips made from a good french bread, to dip into the cream and egg yolk. They also accompany it with a small green salad.
1 oz. unsalted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
8 oz. button mushrooms, finely chopped
leaves from 1 sprig of thyme
freshly grated nutmeg
6 large eggs
6 tsp heavy whipping cream
1 oz. Gruyére or Parmesano cheese, finely grated
freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400º.
2. Melt the butter in a medium-sized pan, add the onion and cook gently until soft but not colored.
3. Add the mushrooms and thyme and continue to cook until all the excess liquid has evaporated and the mixture is quite dry. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Spoon the mushroom mixture into six lightly buttered ramekin dishes. Break in the eggs, season them lightly, then spoon over the cream and sprinkle with the cheese.
4. Put the ramekins into a shallow roasting tin and
pour some hot water around them so that it comes about half way up the sides
of the dishes. Bake for 15 minutes until the eggs are set but the yolks
are still runny and the cheese is lightly golden.
Return to Home Page